Senate Bill 272 amended the California Public Records Act and was added to the Government code as Section 6270.5. Senate Bill 272 mandates that all Local Agencies publish a catalog of their Enterprise Systems by July 1, 2016 and update it annually. For the purpose of this legislation, an Enterprise System is defined as:
A software application or computer system that collects, stores, and analyzes information that an agency uses that is:
- A system that contains information collected about the public
- A system that serves as an original source of data with an agency, otherwise known as a system of record.
The following are excluded from being categorized as an Enterprise System:
- Information technology security systems including firewalls and cyber security systems.
- Physical access control systems, employee identification management systems, video monitoring, and other physical control systems.
- Infrastructure and mechanical control systems, including those that control or manage street lights, electrical, natural gas, or water or sewer functions.
- Systems related to 911 dispatch and operations of emergency services.
City of Fontana’s Enterprise System Catalog (PDF)
For more information:
Senate Bill 272 Complete Bill Text
California Government Code Section 6270.5