- Customer Services
- Business License Information
- Business Listing
- Passport Services
- Yard Sales
- Other Information
- Renew a Business License
Business License Information
The Fontana Municipal Code requires all businesses operating (not necessarily located) within the City to be properly licensed as well as in accordance with the standards for Planning (zoning), Building and Safety, and Public Health.
-Business licenses tied to a home address are not accepted online.
-ATTN: Contractors pulling permits, before applying for a business license, please contact Planning at (909) 350-6718 to verify if the job site is within the City limits versus the unincorporated area of Fontana regulated by the County, not the City.
The following fees/taxes must be paid at the time the application is submitted:
- Initial Application Fee $35 ($15 renewal fee annually thereafter)
- Annual Business Tax (based on estimated annual gross receipts, with some exceptions)
The above fees apply to the majority of business types located in Fontana. However, there are certain types of businesses (i.e., used car dealers, restaurants, liquor stores) that require supplementary permits and the submission of additional documents, information and/or applications.
Application and Approval Process
- All completed Business License / Tax Certificate applications are submitted to the Business Services Division along with the appropriate fees and/or taxes. Click here to apply for a Business License.
- Upon review, the application is forwarded to the following departments for review:
- Planning Department for zoning compliance
- Building and Safety Division or an on-site inspection of the building and determination of conformance with the building regulations of the City
- Public Health
- Police Department (only applicable for certain types of business)
- If further action is required by any of the above departments, you will need to immediately respond to any and all such matters identified by the above-named departments.
- Upon receipt of the Building Division approval, the application is then forwarded to the Business License Division for final processing.
The process outlined above applies to most businesses physically located in the City. There are, however, certain types of businesses that may require additional inspections and/or investigation.
Depending upon the type of business that is to be conducted and assuming complete compliance with all codes, the entire business license approval process should be completed within two to three weeks.
Renew a Business License Online
NEW!!!! To renew a Business License, Pay or Search a Business, please click here. (Must have renewal notice to renew for access or create an account profile).
Important Information: Business licenses tied to a home address are not accepted online.
Forms and Publications
If there are any questions regarding this process, please email or call (909) 350-7675.
The City of Fontana is a business-friendly community. Information acquired through this business license search feature is intended as a public service and contains public information only. The City does not endorse or vouch for the accuracy of the information contained in this database as the information is "self-reported" by individual businesses.
Locate a business by:
- Address - Find a business by looking up all or part of its address.
- Name - Find a business by looking up all or part of its name.
- Type - Find a business by the type of work it does.
If you have any questions on Business Licenses, please email or call (909) 350-7675.
Monday To Thursday 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
We do not provide Passports Services Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
Walk-in service is now available with priority given to those with appointments.
*No walk-in customers will be served after 2:00 p.m.
Schedule Your Appointment Below.
The Customer Service Division provides Passport Acceptance Services. Appointments are highly encouraged and given priority over walk-in service. Please note walk-ins may experience a long wait time with no guarantee of same-day service.
Please arrive with completed application(s), original documentation and two separate payments.
- Original certified birth certificate (abstracts are not acceptable) or naturalization papers.
- One passport photograph.
- The completed application DS-11 Form (PDF) (available at the Customer Service Counter). Black ink only, no white out. You will not be able to fill out the application(s) at the Customer Service Counter.
- Valid driver's license or identification card.
- 2 separate payments.
1. US Department of State payment by check or money order only, one check per application.
2. City of Fontana payment by cash, card, check or money order.
The Passport Book is good for all international travel by air, sea or land.
The Passport Card is a wallet-size card that can only be used for land and sea travel between the United States and Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The passport card cannot be used for international air travel.
Click below to schedule your appointment
Passports are renewed by mail if you meet the following criteria. You must mail in your renewal application (Form DS-82) yourself.
- You have your passport in your possession to submit with your application.
- Your passport is undamaged other than normal wear or tear.
- It was issued when you were age 16 or older. (A 10 year passport)
- It was issued within the last 15 years. (No more than 5 years after expiration)
- Was issued in your current name or you can provide document of name change.
If you answered "No" to any statement, you must apply in person with a DS-11.
How to Renew by mail with DS-82
- Fill Out Form DS-82
You must print the form single-sided. Double-sided forms are not acceptable.
You can renew for a passport book, a passport card or both.
You must complete both pages of the form and sign and date it.
- Submit Your Most Recent Passport
Your U.S. Passport book and/or card must meet all the requirements listed at the top of the page.
Your old passport book and/or card will be returned to you, but generally it will come in a separate mailing from your new passport.
- Include Name Change Documents (if applicable)
If the name you are currently using is different from the name on your most recent U.S. passport, you must provide a certified copy of the legal name change document. Examples include:
Court-ordered name change document
Your name change document will be returned to you in a separate mailing from your new passport.
- Provide a New Photo
Attach one photo to the application.
- Provide Payment by Check or Money Order
Payable to "U.S. Department of State"
ROUTINE SERVICE 8-11 weeks
Passport Book $130
Passport Card $30
Passport Book & Card $160
EXPEDITED SERVICE 5-7 weeks. Express Return Fee can be added for an additional $18.32. Not valid for Passport Cards.
Passport Book $190
Passport Card $90
Passport Book & Card $220
- Mail Completed Application
Mail your completed application, including your most recent passport, name change document (if applicable), photo, and fees, to one of the addresses listed on the application. Where you send the application depends on where you live, and how quickly you want your passport. If you live in the United States, you must use the United States Postal Service (USPS) to mail your renewal application and supporting documents. If you use UPS, FedEx, DHL, or another company to send your application, the application will be returned to you.
- Can You Renew at an Acceptance Facility?
No. If you are renewing your passport with Form DS-82, acceptance facilities will not take your application. You must mail in your renewal application (Form DS-82) yourself.
City of Fontana Ordinance 1653 provides residents with the ability to hold yard and garage sales up to four times per year on the first full weekends (Friday through Sunday) in February, May, August, and November.
Yard Sale Permits
Yard Sale Permits are no longer required as long as the yard sales and garage sales are on the specified dates:
- February 3 - 5, 2023
- May 5 - 7, 2023
- August 4 - 6, 2023
- November 3 - 5, 2023
- Due to Covid-19 we ask that you wear a mask or face covering and maintain social distance.
Holding a yard sale on any day other than the above dates is an infraction and subject to graduated penalties with each successive violation as stipulated in the Fontana Municipal Code, Ordinance 1653.
Click to view the yard sale permits in Spanish.
Click to apply for Emergency Yard Sale Permit or call (909) 854-8020.
For additional information, contact the City of Fontana at (909) 350-7679
Important contact numbers and links
|Accounts Receivable / miscellaneous billing||(909) 350-7683|
|Animal licenses||(909) 350-7681|
|Business license information||(909) 350-7686|
|Franchise services||(909) 350-6608|
|Sewer billing||(909) 350-7673|
|Yard sales||(909) 350-7679|
If you have any questions, please call (909) 350-7679.